Online dating is a very popular way of finding new love and millions of people sign up to online dating sites every year, but although internet dating is a fun way to meet people, what are the pros and cons of online dating and is it better than traditional dating?
So you find yourself single again and although friends are trying to set you up on a blind date, you are considering signing up for an online dating site, but do they work? These days, people are more inclined to try internet dating than other more traditional types of dating. However, although internet dating can be very successful, there are plenty of people for whom internet dating has not worked, so what are the pros and cons of internet dating?
What are the pros of internet dating?
1. There are so many online dating sites to choose from that there is bound to be a site to suit you. From niche dating sites that cater for people with similar interests, to global dating sites that try and match their members using the latest computer programs, there is a lot of internet dating sites to try!
2. Online dating allows you to connect with potential dates you would never meet under any other circumstances—particularly if you are hoping to meet someone special from a different country.
3. Online dating is great fun. Well at least it is for your friends! You get to go on a succession of terrible dates and they get to have a laugh at your expense.
4. Even if you don’t meet the man/woman of your dreams, you can enjoy a varied social life every night of the week if you have the time and stomach for it.
5. Instead of meeting a succession of losers courtesy of your so-called best friends, you can spend a few hours scrutinising lots of profiles and hopefully weed out all of the weirdos and psychos before you have to endure two hours in their company on a blind date.
6. Dating sites can be a godsend if you are shy—you can get to know a potential date and form a connection before the trauma of meeting in the flesh.
7. If you like a bit of variety in your love life, dating sites are a veritable smorgasbord of available partners.
What are the cons of online dating?
1. Misrepresentation is rife on online dating sites. You might start chatting to a tall, hot blonde and believe that she is “the one”, but when you finally meet, she is ten years older, one hundred pounds heavier, and most definitely not hot.
2. Online dating sites are full of sexual predators and people purporting to be single when they are actually married or otherwise attached. It takes time to develop a reliable sixth sense, but eventually you learn to spot the signs of men and women with a different agenda to you.
3. Unfortunately the search for true love can be expensive and although many dating sites let you join for free, most charge a subscription fee if you want to do more than browse the profiles.
4. Online dating sites are not only full of players and married people—they are also frequented by scammers hoping to part a lonely and naïve fool from his money.